Lost my account and secrets when the conjur_server docker container stopped unexpectedly. Is there a way to retrieve everything back Conjur

When i am working with conjur ( using conjur open source ), my conjur_server docker container stopped unexpectedly. So I have lost my account and all secrets in it. Is there any way to retrieve it.

1 Like

following cos thats concerning… Can you not specify the storage space as on the host outside the container for this reason?

3 Likes

Hi Wazeem. As long as your postgres and Conjur containers have not been removed from Docker you should be able to recover your secrets. A few questions for you:

1. Is your postgres container still running? You can check with docker ps
  2. Is your Conjur container still listed if you run docker ps -a?

If the answer to both of these questions is yes, grab the container ID of Conjur from the left-most column of the docker ps -a output and start the Conjur container up again with docker container start <CONTAINER_ID>. That should put you back where you started.

2 Likes

When I re-run the conjur container and tried to login again with that account showing
error: Failed to open TCP connection to conjur:80 (Connection refused - connect(2) for "conjur" port 80)

Hi Wazeem,

Could you please try to run the commands above mentioned by John Tuttle. We need to make sure that the database is still active.

Thanks,
Andrew

1 Like

Regarding persistent/external storage, there is many different approaches to have external storage. I personally think the easiest way to have an external store is by changing the connection string DATABASE_URL within the conjur server, more information regarding this process can be found here Conjur Persistent Database Guide.

Thanks,
Andrew

2 Likes

I second this. If the guide is missing steps PM me them and I’ll edit it or comment them on the post for people to follow

1 Like

Hi John,

Both conjur and postgres container are running. I even tried to restart them. I verified with netstat that port 80 is actually listening and I even turned off the firewall. I keep getting this error:

error: Failed to open TCP connection to conjur:80 (Connection refused - connect(2) for “conjur” port 80)

Seems there maybe some issue with presitence. I may have to start from fresh install.

Regrads,
Bobby