Conjur server keeps restarting

hi,
was trying the tutorials on: https://www.conjur.org/get-started/tutorials/enrolling-application/. I restarted my VM and when it came back up and did a docker ps -a, can see that the conjur server keeps getting restarted.
when i try to do a docker-compose stop and then docker-compose up, the conjur server keeps getting restarted with the following error. would like to seek your advice on this. thank you!

conjur_server | No CONJUR_DATA_KEY

conjur_server | /opt/conjur-server/config/initializers/authenticator.rb:19:in `<top (required)>’

conjur_server | /opt/conjur-server/config/environment.rb:19:in `<top (required)>’

conjur_server | Tasks: TOP => db:migrate => db:migrate:load => environment

conjur_server | (See full trace by running task with --trace)

conjur_server | error: exit

conjur_server exited with code 1

conjur_server | rake aborted!

conjur_server | /opt/conjur-server/config/initializers/authenticator.rb:19:in `<top (required)>’

conjur_server | /opt/conjur-server/config/environment.rb:19:in `<top (required)>’

conjur_server | rake aborted!

Hey @davidbeckham -

Did you rerun

export CONJUR_DATA_KEY="$(< data_key)"

before running docker-compose up? It looks from the logs like the server doesn’t have access to the data key env var.

hi @izgerij thank you for your prompt response.

is it necessary to run export CONJUR_DATA_KEY="$(< data_key)" everytime i restart the VM?

I expect you would need it every time before running docker-compose up, yes. The Conjur server relies on that variable value to be able to read its database.