Trouble with Quick Start Guide on Ubuntu

Hi All,

I’m having some trouble getting the Quick Start Guide to work on Ubuntu. It looks like a problem with NGINX, but I was wondering if anyone else has run into this problem before?

I opened an issue on GitHub here

Terminal:

$ git clone https://github.com/cyberark/conjur-quickstart.git
Cloning into 'conjur-quickstart'...
remote: Enumerating objects: 86, done.
remote: Counting objects: 100% (86/86), done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (63/63), done.
remote: Total 86 (delta 32), reused 53 (delta 14), pack-reused 0
Unpacking objects: 100% (86/86), done.
Checking connectivity... done.
$ cd conjur-quickstart
$ docker-compose pull
Pulling openssl  ... done
Pulling bot_app  ... done
Pulling database ... done
Pulling conjur   ... done
Pulling proxy    ... done
Pulling client   ... done
$ docker-compose run --no-deps --rm conjur data-key generate > data_key
Creating network "conjur-quickstart_default" with the default driver
$ export CONJUR_DATA_KEY="$(< data_key)"
$ docker-compose up -d
Creating postgres_database ... done
Creating openssl           ... done
Creating bot_app           ... done
Creating conjur_server     ... done
Creating nginx_proxy       ... error

ERROR: for nginx_proxy  Cannot start service proxy: b'OCI runtime create failed: container_linux.go:348: starting container process caused "process_linux.go:402: container init caused \\"rootfs_linux.go:58: mounting \\\\\\"/home/scrapbook/tutorial/conjur-quickstart/conf/default.conf\\\\\\" to rootfs \\\\\\"/var/lib/docker/overlay/3b578a083ce7833e47d08cee715d2c5db63a159dc80f69e8f3183a13ee7def6a/merged\\\\\\" at \\\\\\"/var/lib/docker/overlay/3b578a083ce7833e47d08cee715d2c5db63a159dc80f69e8f3183a13ee7def6a/merged/etc/nginx/conf.d/default.conf\\\\\\" caused \\\\\\"not a directory\\\\\\"\\"": unknown: Are you trying to mount a directory onto a file (or vice-versa)? Check if the specified host path exists and is the expected type'

ERROR: for proxy  Cannot start service proxy: b'OCI runtime create failed: container_linux.go:348: starting container process caused "process_linux.go:402: container init caused \\"rootfs_linux.go:58: mounting \\\\\\"/home/scrapbook/tutorial/conjur-quickstart/conf/default.conf\\\\\\" to rootfs \\\\\\"/var/lib/docker/overlay/3b578a083ce7833e47d08cee715d2c5db63a159dc80f69e8f3183a13ee7def6a/merged\\\\\\" at \\\\\\"/var/lib/docker/overlay/3b578a083ce7833e47d08cee715d2c5db63a159dc80f69e8f3183a13ee7def6a/merged/etc/nginx/conf.d/default.conf\\\\\\" caused \\\\\\"not a directory\\\\\\"\\"": unknown: Are you trying to mount a directory onto a file (or vice-versa)? Check if the specified host path exists and is the expected type'
ERROR: Encountered errors while bringing up the project.

OS Info:

$ cat /etc/os-release
NAME="Ubuntu"
VERSION="16.04.4 LTS (Xenial Xerus)"
ID=ubuntu
ID_LIKE=debian
PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS"
VERSION_ID="16.04"
HOME_URL="http://www.ubuntu.com/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://help.ubuntu.com/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/"
VERSION_CODENAME=xenial
UBUNTU_CODENAME=xenial

Hi Jake,
I faced the same issue and finally able to solve this by making some changes to docker-compose.yml file. You need to change the volume section under proxy in docker-compose.yml file and try to restart the docker machine. It worked for me the next day

Thanks for the reply, @vullipriyanka! I haven’t gotten a chance to try this yet, but am going to give it a shot this afternoon. I’ll let you know how it goes

1 Like

What’d you change in the docker-compose? It looks like Docker thinks the default.conf is a directory

we were able to find a solution to this issue, the information can be found here:

3 Likes

You can change the volume under proxy image in docker-compose.yml file. Checked the error message, so you should be adding something like this
volumes:
- ./conf/default.conf:/merged/etc/nginx/conf.d/default.conf:ro
- ./conf/tls/nginx.key:/merged/etc/nginx/nginx.key:ro
- ./conf/tls/nginx.crt:/merged/etc/nginx/nginx.crt:ro
It worked for me… Please try this once (volume of proxy image in docker-compose.yml file)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.