Credentials for Summon (using /etc/conjur.identity)

Hello Team - I understand that any apps/hosts that requires access to secrets stored in Conjur need to authenticate to the Conjur as a first hop. Can someone clarify the below questions ?

1. Does this mean the summon tool needs to be installed on all the hosts/apps that needs to authenticate to Conjur ? (excluding hostfactory for now)

2. If Summon needs to be installed - then the only way it does authenticate to Conjur is by using .netrc or conjur.identity correct ?

3. How are we delineating the risk of storing the /etc/conjur.identity file which basically stores the credentials in clear text ?

4. Can we use a rest authentication API using /etc/conjur.identity file ?

Thanks in Advance,

Hi,

Summon is not needed for authenticating with Conjur. Check out the Authenticate docs for the REST API usage.

Best regards,
Samir

Hey Samir - Thanks. I think i meant the requirement of having /etc/conjur.identity files for using Summon as a pre-requisite

Hi,

From https://github.com/cyberark/summon-conjur/blob/823753e4ef970d5ab6588097f582d18b8e73dd5a/README.md

If CONJUR_AUTHN_LOGIN and CONJUR_AUTHN_API_KEY or CONJUR_AUTHN_TOKEN or CONJUR_AUTHN_TOKEN_FILE or CONJUR_AUTHN_JWT_SERVICE_ID are not provided, the username and API key are read from ~/.netrc , stored there by conjur authn login .

This means that when invoking Summon you can pass in the CONJUR_AUTHN_LOGIN and CONJUR_AUTHN_API_KEY environment variables, or an access token via CONJUR_AUTHN_TOKEN, or a path to an access token via CONJUR_AUTHN_TOKEN_FILE.

The NETRC file is not required if one of the above paths are taken.

Best regards,
Samir

1 Like
  1. No. You can authenticate through the API using our SDKs or by using some of our integrations. Summon is just an easy way of providing secrets to a process that needs to be executed when no integration exists and an API call is not feasible.
  2. Since Summon is not a requirement, this is not necessary at all. It is a requirement, however, for Summon to be able to know where Conjur’s service exists and how to authenticate to the service.
  3. The /etc/conjur.identity file, or in some cases it can be a .conjurrc file, is a file that should be treated similar to a .netrc file. Therefore, only root should have access to read the file. Using basic file permissions, you can control the access to the file. This is a risk assessment you should evaluate on your own in deciding whether to use Summon or one of the SDKs/Integrations I linked above instead.
  4. Our SDKs can accept the file as a means of authentication, but as you noted in #3, this isn’t the most secure solution. I would recommend running your service in a containerized platform, such as Kubernetes, and utilizing our Kubernetes Authenticator explained in the “Integrations” link above to have an attribute-based authentication to Conjur and eliminate the need to store an API key altogether. Alternatively, check out our Secretless Broker at https://secretless.io to understand how you can completely remove ALL secrets from your applications and adhere to the 12-Factor App guidelines set forth at https://12factor.net.

Hope this helps answer your questions!

1 Like

Where can i find information on how to use the .conjurrc instead of .netrc. We tried it but it seems to get ignored, so im probably missing something.