Conjur Tutorial - Enrolling an Application: extending the explanation

ls,

I do not know (yet) where I can post improvements/additions to Tutorials on the Conjur.org website.
So for now here goes, please let me know if I should share this somewhere else.

I’d like to suggest an extension to the Prerequisites part

Current:

Prerequisites

Install the self-hosted Conjur software.

Suggested

Prerequisites

Install the self-hosted Conjur software.

connect to the Conjur client Docker:
docker exec -it conjur_client bash

Proceed with the following tasks on that Docker.

1 Like

@derk thank you for the feedback, most appreciated. We will review and make the updates. I would like to send you some swag for your community contribution. Please PM me your shipping information.

Thank you,
John Walsh

I like the idea of ‘execing’ into the containers too. Although there are a few steps like loading the policy that are easier outside of the container. Also, the end of the tutorial when you retrieve a secret is meant to demonstrate an application retrieving a secret from outside the container.

But I do agree that for a good chunk of the tutorial running the commands from outside seem weird at first. I just think going back and forth would make the tutorial choppier. Maybe another paragraph explaining why it is the way it is?

This is good feedback, thank you!

Good Afternoon,
I am currently attempting this tutorial but when receive a response of " conjur: command not found " after entering “conjur policy load --replace root conjur.yml”
When I add in the “docker exec -it conjur_client bash” suggested above and attempt to load the policy in bash, I receive the following response “error: No such file or directory @ rb_sysopen - conjur.yml”

Prior to attempting this tutorial I have successfully completed the Start Up from start to finish.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks!

Please share the tutorial you are attempting. There is a quick start tutorial over at Install Conjur OpenSource Using Docker | Open Source OSS Environment, this one access the CLI via the following command which shouldn’t give you any issues.

docker-compose exec client conjur